My Basket - 0 item

Viña Leyda Reserve Pinot Noir 2014

The Experience

Drink When...
By the sea
Listen To...
Baby, It's Cold Outside by Tom Jones and Cerys Matthews
Think About...
The Humboldt Current
Drink With...
Grilled salmon

The Oddbins Take

The Humboldt Current. What can you say? It's a Pacific Ocean current that runs along the coast of Chile that, being an upwelling current, pushes cold, nutrient-rich water from the bottom of the ocean to the top, resulting in the current's ecosystem being the most productive of its kind in the world! It accounts for 20% of the world's fish catches and, if that's not enough, the it brings cold, wet wind to coastal wine regions like the Leyda Valley. The resulting cool climate brings a longer ripening season, so greater quality and complexity. Good news indeed for this juicy, red-fruit-driven Pinot Noir, which ends up with perfectly-balanced tannin and acidity that fill the mouth with radiant succulence. Well done, Humboldt Current!

The Vital Statistics

Country
Chile
Region
Leyda Valley
Vintage
2014
Drink
Best Drunk Now & Over the Next Year
Closure
Screwcap
Bottle Size
Regular - 750ml
Residual Sugar
0.8 g/l
14.5%
Alcohol Units
10.9

In stock

£9.75

£9.75

Free UK Standard Delivery on orders > £100, Standard Delivery £4.95, No minimum order

The Style

Grape
Pinot Noir (100%)
Oak
Body
Light Full bodied
Sweetness
Dry Sweet

More Views

Click on image to zoom

Viña Leyda was established in 1998 in Leyda Valley, an area previously given to cereal farming and pasture. Substantial investment in the area meant water could be brought in from the Maipo Valley, by way of an eight kilometre pipeline. Viña Leyda now owns 230 hectares of vineyard, located to the west side of Chile's Coastal Mountain Range, 7 kilometres from the Pacific Ocean and 95 kilometres to the south-west of Santiago.

The region has a cool climate with dry summers and 250mm of rainfall per year. Cool breezes and ocean mist are carried in from the Pacific Ocean by the Humboldt Current, and the ripening season is long as a consequence. Viña Leyda's vineyards are divided into single blocks with individual characteristics thanks to differences in mesoclimate and sunlight levels.

Winemaker Viviana Navarrete studied oenology at the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, and then spent four years working in Viña Concha y Toro. While there, she took part in the development of wines from the burgeoning Leyda Valley, and in 2007 she was appointed Chief Winemaker at Viña Leyda. A forward-looking winemaker, she is one of the very few in Chile who produce Riesling and Sauvignon Gris.

Grapes were hand-picked at different picking moments from March 25th to April 22nd. After destemming and soft crushing, the grapes were cold macerated in stainless steel tanks for six days and fermented at 26-28C for 10 days. The wine was racked from the skins and 90% of it underwent malolactic conversion in stainless steel, the other 10% going into French oak barrels. The wine was bottled after six months ageing.