Montes Sparkling Brut NV

£15.50

They say there are many ways to skin a cat. But what they don’t say is that there are only a few ways you can make sparkling wine. One of...

Sold Out

They say there are many ways to skin a cat. But what they don’t say is that there are only a few ways you can make sparkling wine. One of these methods, and a respected one at that, is the ‘Method Champenoise’, i.e. the one what they use in Champagne.


They also say that imitation is the highest form flattery and, given how many other winemaking regions use the Method Champenoise, it should be very flattered.


Anyway, that’s what they say, but what we say is that this is a fulsome Champagne-alike from the little-known, cool-climate Chilean region of Zapallar. With flavours of white flowers, fresh fruits, toasted breadcrumbs and a silky mouthfeel, who cares what they say anyway!


From the quality Chilean producer Montes comes the Sparkling Angel Brut. This traditional method sparkling wine is produced using grapes from Chile’s cool coastal region of Zapallar.


Montes was established in 1988 by Aurelio Montes, Douglas Murray, Alfredo Vidaurre and Pedro Grand, who have continued to create consistently good wines because they are meticulous throughout the entire production process.


75% of the fruit that Montes use comes from their own vineyards and the other 25% is produced on vineyards they have planted, cultivated and picked. In other words, they control everything except the ownership of the land. In addition to this control over the vineyard, they also sell in bulk what is not good enough to go into the bottles that carry their label. Having made the selection in the vineyard, they are able to make a further selection in the winery.


Aurelio Montes was born in Santiago, Chile in 1948. Since 1987, he has been Head Winemaker and says: ‘Since my partners named our wines after me... I feel the responsibility to dedicate my very best efforts to produce absolutely top wines.’


The base wine for the Brut was made with whole cluster pressing, clarification and cold fermentation at 10-12C. No oak or malolactic fermentation took place. Montes Brut was created using the traditional method, and spent 36 months ageing on lees.


Bright straw-yellow in colour with a slightly golden tone, it has generous aromas of white flowers, fresh fruits, breadcrumbs and light toast, with notes dried fruit, hazelnut and walnut. The palate is well-balanced with good acidity and fine, crisp foam. It follows up with creamy, silky notes and a fresh, fruity and persistent finish. An ideal match with razorback clams, parmesan cheese, Chilean sea bass or salmon ceviche.


Please note: Due to the current pressure on delivery networks we are no longer able to offer guaranteed next day deliveries. Though not guaranteed, we will be placing all standard delivery orders made before 2 pm on a 24 hour service without extra charge.
UK Mainland Addresses

(excludes Northern Ireland, the Scottish Highlands & Islands, and the Isles of Wight, Man and Scilly - please see below)

Service Price Additional Information

Standard

£4.95

FREE

Most Standard Delivery parcels arrive within 2 working days of placement of your order.

Free Standard Delivery is offered on all orders of £100 or more.
Next Day £6.95

If you place an order by 2pm (UK time), Monday - Thursday, it will be delivered the next day*. Orders placed between 2pm on Thursday and 2pm on Friday will be delivered on the following Monday and orders placed between 2pm Friday and 2pm Monday will be delivered on the following Tuesday.

Saturday £11.95
(all order values)

Orders must be placed online by 2pm Friday to be delivered on the Saturday of the same week, otherwise it is assumed the order is for the following Saturday. Available for most UK Mainland Postcodes.

Next Day Before 12noon £12.95
(all values)

Available for most UK Mainland Postcodes.Orders must be placed online by 2pm for delivery the next working day.

Next Day Before 10am £19.95
(all values)

Available for most UK Mainland Postcodes.Orders must be placed online by 2pm for delivery the next working day.

Remote Areas - Northern Ireland, the Scottish Highlands & Islands, Isle of Wight, Isle of Man and The Scilly Isles

Delivery Service Price Additional Information

Standard

£9.95

We can only offer Standard Delivery to these parts of the UK and delivery times will vary locally. Typically, orders placed before 2pm should be received in 3 or 4 working days, although some of the most rural locations may take longer.** Free Standard Delivery to mainland UK addresses on orders over £100.