Pio Cesare L'Altro Chardonnay 2015

£19.50

When you hear Piedmont, you probably think of Barolo perhaps Barbaresco or even "where the hell is Piedmont." That's okay you can't know every region, you're not a wine-geek Rain...

Sold Out

When you hear Piedmont, you probably think of Barolo perhaps Barbaresco or even "where the hell is Piedmont." That's okay you can't know every region, you're not a wine-geek Rain Man, that's what we're for! To direct your taste buds to the unexplored. All aboard then taste buds, we're going to Piedmont! You see, yes Piedmont has worldwide acclaim for its Barolos and Barbarescos but there's winemakers experimenting with all sorts of stuff. Chardonnay in Italy, surely not? That's like seeing Donald Trump eat a vegan burrito. Yet it works perfectly, with ripe fruit aromas, gentle spice and great minerality, you might be seeing a bit more of Chardonnay in Piedmont.


Pio Cesare has been producing wines for 135 years, through five generations, in its ancient cellars, in the town of Alba. Founded in 1881 by Cesare Pio, a successful entrepreneur inspired to produce a small and select quantity of wines from the hills of Barolo and Barbaresco for himself, his family, friends and customers. The winery is now in the hands of the fourth and fifth generations of the family. The wine is named "L'Altro," the Italian for 'the other'. Pio Cesar named it this, in order to distinguish it from their other Chardonnay, Piodilei. The grapes are picked by hand and then gently pressed. 75% is fermented in stainless steel tanks and the remaining 25%, on its lees, in new French oak, where the wine remains for five months. This gives the wine an incredible fruit freshness, yet with a backbone of spice and bready notes. These two opposing characteristics harmonise perfectly and build to a long, flinty finish.
UK Mainland Addresses

(excludes Northern Ireland, the Scottish Highlands & Islands, and the Isles of Wight, Man and Scilly - please see below)

Service Price Additional Information

Standard

£4.95

FREE

Most Standard Delivery parcels arrive within 2 working days of placement of your order.

Free Standard Delivery is offered on all orders of £100 or more.
Next Day £6.95

If you place an order by 2pm (UK time), Monday - Thursday, it will be delivered the next day*. Orders placed between 2pm on Thursday and 2pm on Friday will be delivered on the following Monday and orders placed between 2pm Friday and 2pm Monday will be delivered on the following Tuesday.

Saturday £11.95
(all order values)

Orders must be placed online by 2pm Friday to be delivered on the Saturday of the same week, otherwise it is assumed the order is for the following Saturday. Available for most UK Mainland Postcodes.

Next Day Before 12noon £12.95
(all values)

Available for most UK Mainland Postcodes.Orders must be placed online by 2pm for delivery the next working day.

Next Day Before 10am £19.95
(all values)

Available for most UK Mainland Postcodes.Orders must be placed online by 2pm for delivery the next working day.

Remote Areas - Northern Ireland, the Scottish Highlands & Islands, Isle of Wight, Isle of Man and The Scilly Isles

Delivery Service Price Additional Information

Standard

£9.95

We can only offer Standard Delivery to these parts of the UK and delivery times will vary locally. Typically, orders placed before 2pm should be received in 3 or 4 working days, although some of the most rural locations may take longer.** Free Standard Delivery to mainland UK addresses on orders over £100.